Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a protocol that enables transmission of speech real-time over the internet or other IP packet-switched networks. VoIP converts the voice signal from a telephone into a digital signal that travels over the IP Network, then converts it back at the other end. Now widely accepted, VoIP technology is being rapidly deployed and is now a core part of all new telephone systems.
The technology is continually being extended to integrate with the new Web 2.0 Internet that exists today.
VoIP is undoubtedly the future of telephony, now offering capability, flexibility, quality and resilience that are a far cry from the limitations of earlier systems.
Many features and advantages make it the ideal business solution:
- VoIP provides a lower cost alternative to the traditional networks
- Call costs for businesses systems are substantially lower than ISDN
- VoIP is scalable on an individual channel basis and extra phones can be added without additional telephone cabling.
- For multi-site organisations all internal phones can be on the
same network, so calls between sites within the organisation are
potentially toll free.
- Number portability is assured and simple, even when moving long distance.
- Disaster recovery is fast, with same day line switching to an alternate location
- Conference calling, call forwarding and caller ID are all low-cost features.
- Integration with other services such as voicemail, email and SMS is straightforward.
- Advanced features such as videoconferencing are easier and cheaper to implement.
- Advanced DDI offers comprehensive management and analysis tools
- Emergency services are supported
- VoIP is ideally suited all businesses, and higher volume
customers financially benefit even further, as the capacity requirements
increase without linear increase in connectivity charges
What does VoIP.co.uk do?
VoIP.co.uk is a telephony service provider providing Voice-Over-IP trunks into businesses. This service is commonly called ‘SIP Trunking’. We are based in the UK and have customers situated worldwide, many using the Internet to reach our platform servers, although we also offer dedicated connections for the best service levels.
We have a very strong technical team of engineers and software developers and we have a particular interest in voice security. Our flagship service is called SIP-Encrypt and this provides an anti-eavesdrop solution for all businesses concerned about sensitive information being transmitted using VoIP technology. An example of our SIP Encrypt service in use, is where a business is taking card payments from customers over the telephone and recognising that the call contains sensitive data must ensure that this is immune to interception and card data loss. Our SIP Encrypt service works by deploying a gateway device at the customer site that protects the PBX system by encrypting all call traffic between the system and VoIP’s network. The gateway device is an encrypting SIP Session Border Controller we call our SAFEGateway and the device has been professionally penetration tested in the same way as our secure platform for complete piece of mind. Our SAFEGateway is provided free of charge to our customers as part of our SIP Encrypt service.
The Bottom Line
VoIP technology has now matured to offer comparable if not more dependability than traditional ISDN-type services. This, combined with low lifetime cost and fast ROI, is presenting decision makers with an overwhelmingly compelling business case.
Find out more
VoIP.co.uk has profound technical understanding and practical experience of how IP telephony systems best function in the real world. We are impartial in our advice and will happily answer your queries.
To find out how IP telephony can benefit your business call our sales team now on 01869 222500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.